Saturday, October 10, 2009

Finding NEMO - Finding Purpose



Having 2 kids allows me to see those great movies. Last week I watched Finding Nemo. I loved it. For several reasons. One reason is that it was great to watch how somebody (Merlin, Nemo’s dad) can find purpose and make such a radical change.
By the way I also like to play the seagulls shouting “Mine, Mine, Mine” in front of my kids.

Then the next day I came across a poem by Christain D. Larson which I want to share with you:

When you work simply for yourself or for your own personal gain your mind will seldom rise above the limitations of the undeveloped personal life;

but when you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break bounds; your mind transcends limitations; your consciousness expands in every direction;

and you find yourself in a new world, a great world, a wonderful world; dormant powers, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a larger man by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.”

And I truly believe his words. Once you have found this purpose or extraordinary project, your life will be propelled forward. You will never have to create momentum again. Why not? Because you are living your dream.

Lots of times people come to me and ask me that same question over and over again. Especially when they are aged between say 30 and 50. What is it that really drives me? What’s my purpose? What is my legacy?

So how DO you find your purpose? That extraordinary project?

Without going into too much detail I would like to share some tips with you that might help you better understand how to find your purpose. And first of all let me start by saying that from my perspective a lot of people are bounded by their own reality. They have made up stories that keep them where they are right now.

So you might want to start there. How is your perceived reality? What do you think is possible? Napoleon Hill once said: “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve”.

BR>
They say that from everything there is out there you know that you only know 10%. And then you know things that you don’t know and that’s another 10%.
Now here’s the deal. The other 80% you don’t know that you don’t know. How’s that?

So here’s tip no.1 EXPAND YOUR MIND, YOUR PERSPECTIVE
Why is it that all great masters from today and yesterday live their life on purpose? How did the great minds of all times think and believe? How do other people think and believe? What is your perspective?

Tip no.2: Start using your unconscious by using your faculty of imagination. And Visualize.
Close your eyes and just visualize the question you need to ask yourself?what is my purpose? That extraordinary project? How does it look like, feels, smells, hear. And what do I hear myself saying to myself?

Tip no.3: Go back to your childhood and ask yourself what it was that gave you goose bumps.
What topics did you like? What were your main skills and abilities? What did you really love to do?

Tip no.4: Go forward in time, and ask yourself what it is what you want to leave behind?
How do you want to be remembered? What is your legacy?
And again visualize and use your faculty of imagination.

Tip no. 5: Listen to your heart.
What is it that would really make you happy? What’s your heart telling you?

To wrap it all up, I want to share a little exercise with you about finding your purpose.
Here’s what to do:

1.Take out a blank sheet of paper and a pen.
2.Write at the top, “What is my true purpose in life?”
3.Write an answer (any answer) that pops into your head. It doesn’t have to be a complete sentence. A short phrase is fine. Continue doing this for as long as you can while repeating the question. For some people it helps when they close their eyes.
4.Repeat step 3 until you write the answer that makes you cry. Have a good look. This probably is your purpose. Wilbert Molenaar

0 comments:

Post a Comment